How Do You Say, 'Welcome Home' In Italian?

2

Yo Kass Profile
Yo Kass answered
The literal translation of 'welcome home' in Italian is benvenuto a casa, but this would only really be used to welcome someone to a home that they haven't been to before.

So, for example, if someone was unwittingly taking part in a daytime TV show  -bwhere a crew of builders and designers were secretly employed to re-build someone's home following a house fire, and the owner then returned to the plot where he expected to find the burnt out remains of his former abode and was instead welcomed by a brand new house - then the use of benvenuto a casa would be entirely appropriate.

For most other uses, you might refer to the phrase bentornato a casa, or simply bentornato - which stems from the root word tornato, meaning returned. This expression is used to welcome someone 'back' home, for example a soldier returning home after a tour of duty, or a relative returning home after travelling around South-East Asia on their 'gap year'.

The prefix ben- that is used in both of these examples comes from the word bene, meaning good. The use of ben as a prefix generally denotes positive connotations; for example benavere is Italian for 'the achievement of serenity', whilst beninformato means 'well informed'.

Ohh, it reminded me of when my Italian friend moved into this house, changed the door, and he couldn't get into the house haha. He said that he felt this place was really home. Fortunately, the window and door replacement service did a good job! If you need I can leave a link to this service here https://thwindowsdoors.com/aurora-window-replacement/ , if you need to replace the doors as my friend did. I wish you good luck.

Anonymous